20th Session of the East Central and South - East Europe Division (ECSEED)
Working Group on Toponymic Data Files and Gazetteers (WG TDFG)
EuroGeoGraphics - EuroGeoNames workshop (EGN)
9 – 11 February 2011
20th UNGEGN ECSEE Division Session
9th Feb. 2011, 11 – 18 hours
10th Feb. 2011, 9 - 12 hours
- 1. Opening of the Session.
- 2. Organizational matters:
- (a) Adoption of the agenda;
- (b) Election of officers;
- (c) Organization of work.
- 3. National standardization:
- (a) Field collection of names;
- (b) Office treatment of names;
- (c) Treatment of names in multilingual areas;
- (d) Administrative structure of national names authorities, legislation, policies and procedures.
- 4. Toponymic guidelines for map and other editors.
- 5. Geographical names as culture, heritage and identity (including indigenous, minority and regional language names).
- 6. Toponymic data files and gazetteers:
- (a) Data collection procedures;
- (b) Data elements required;
- (c) Toponymic data transfer standards and formats;
- (d) Automated data processing systems;
- (e) National gazetteers;
- (f) Other publications.
- 7. Terminology in the standardization of geographical names.
- 8. Writing systems:
- (a) Romanization;
- (b) Conversion into non-Roman writing systems;
- (c) Writing of names in unwritten languages.
- 9. Pronunciation.
- 10. Country names.
- 11. Exonyms.
- 12. Features beyond a single sovereignty.
- (a) Features common to two or more nations;
- (b) Bilateral/multilateral agreements.
- 13. Toponymic websites.
- 14. Co-operation with neighborhood countries and international organizations.
- 15. Toponymic education.
- 16. Geographical names databases:
- (a) Data models and classifications;
- (b) Data maintenance;
- (c) Data standards and interoperability;
- (d) Data services, applications and products (for example, gazetteers and web services).
- 17. Promotion of indigenous and minority group names.
- 18. The Geographical Names as Part of the Cultural Heritage.
- 19. Implementation of resolutions and the aims and functions of UNGEGN.
- 20. ECSEE Division Chairing.
- 21. Preparations for the 26th UNGEGN Session, May 2011.
- 22. Other information.
- 23. Adoption of the Report of the Twentieth Session of the East Central and South-East Europe Division of UNGEGN.
- 23. Closing the Session.